Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Walking Race

This year, Charlie's sister Kyann formed a team for Louisville's Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. Alex, Charlie and I signed up to walk 3 miles and raise money for our team. We all worked really hard, and each of us met our fundraising goals! Alex raised $125, I raised $180, and Charlie raised over $300. His co-workers at his new school were so supportive!

On Saturday, October 14, we met in Louisville for the race. It was a very emotional event. It was so inspiring to see so many people walking in support of their loved ones, and it was so sad to see people walking in memory of those have passed on.

Before the race started, we visited some of the vendor booths and got some great give aways. Whole Foods was giving out all natural cereal bars, and Starbucks was giving out coffee. I also got a free t-shirt and a scarf!

The race was a huge event, and it was really exciting to be a part of a race that big. Here is a group picture of our team. Kyann's sister-in-law Susie is also a survivor of breast cancer, so she walked with us. Most of the team members are from Earl's family and friends from Kyann's work.



No one told me that our race would cross the Ohio River!!!!! I am afraid of bridges, but if Kyann can face cancer everyday, surely I could walk across a bridge to support her.



The bridge wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. So many of us were crossing at the same time.





The finish line is just in sight!



We all had a really good time. When Kyann crossed the finish line, they announced her name and gave her a medal. We are so proud of her! Please continue to keep Kyann in your prayers. She is doing good and seems to responding to this new chemo. We hope it will attack the skin cancer so that she can have her surgery soon.

1 comment:

Jody said...

What a great way to support Kyann! Sounds like the treatment is looking up!